Choosing a quality inverter is crucial
Choosing a quality inverter that is exactly right for your project is crucial for receiving maximum return on your investment. Inverters have shorter life spans and warranties than solar panels, five to ten years as opposed to 25-30 years, and are usually the most expensive part of a system. Going with a quality inverter is definitely worth it in the long term – we have seen many customers pick premium panels and a cheap inverter, which jeopardizes the performance of the entire system. There are four main types of inverters – grid-connected and hybrid inverters are connected to the electricity grid and further divided into string and micro inverters. Then there are off-grid inverters for use in remote areas as well as central inverters for larger commercial and utility-scale solar arrays.
Inverters are responsible for:
- Converting DC current produced by your solar panels to AC current used in your home and by the grid if you are exporting it.
- Ensuring that the maximum amount of electricity is extracted from your solar panels. This is also known as Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) – a digital charge control function which ensures that you get the most power possible from your solar panels at any point in time which is particularly effective during low light level conditions.
- Allowing you to monitor your solar system via wifi, Bluetooth or simply on its display.
Learn More About:
Our Solar Inverter Suppliers
|Grid-connected Inverter||Hybrid Inverter||Off-grid Inverter||Central Inverter|
Our Solar Inverter Suppliers
|ABB||Grid-connected & Central Inverters|
|Fronius||Grid-connected, Hybrid & Central Inverters|
|Schneider||Grid-connected, Hybrid, Off-grid & Central Inverters|
|SMA||Grid-connected, Hybrid & Central Inverters|
|SolarEdge||Grid-connected & Hybrid Inverters|
|SolaX||Grid-connected & Hybrid Inverters|
|SunGrow||Grid-connected & Hybrid Inverters|
|Zever Solar||Grid-connected Inverters|
Grid Connected Inverters
An off-grid inverter is the right choice if your solar system will have battery backup and no connection to the grid, for example in remote areas. The off-grid inverter acts as an interface between your solar panels, your battery, your home and possibly a backup generator, simultaneously managing inputs from all sides. Off-grid inverters are also responsible for:
- Converting DC current produced by your solar panels to AC current used in your home.
- Managing battery charging.
- Controlling the backup generator if there is one.
- Ensuring that the maximum amount of electricity is extracted from your solar panels. This is also known as Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) – a digital charge control function which maximizes power output from your solar panels at any point in time which is particularly effective during low light level conditions.
- Allowing you to monitor your solar system via wifi, Bluetooth or on its display.
Our suppliers for Off-grid Inverters
If you are looking at building a large-scale solar project on a commercial or utility scale, GEM Energy can help you choose the right central inverter for the job. Our top suppliers have a vast range of inverters suitable for all project sizes.
Our suppliers for Central Inverters
GEM Energy’s Evaluation
At GEM Energy, we stick to only a handful of inverters for domestic installations. Our go-to inverter for any situation is the Fronius, closely followed by SolarEdge, SMA, and ABB. These inverters hold the top spots in the world for grid-connected inverters, and it is mainly personal opinion that separates them. SunGrow and SolaX are the only inverters manufactured in China that we will put our name to. For commercial installations, we usually go with Fronius or SolarEdge. Fronius inverters are easily serviceable on-site and carry a great warranty, so we just love their products. SolarEdge inverters give you excellent output through their amazing power optimization feature. Whatever inverter you choose you can be sure that your money is going towards a safe investment. We have only replaced a handful of inverters in the last twelve months giving us less than 0.5% failure rate. They offer unmatched performance and reliability.
Look No Further. Get Started Today.
What our customers say about us
…it wasn’t until we met with GEM Energy Australia that we were confident we were dealing with a compay that had the expertise to get the job done.Phil Sellwood