Supplier Snapshot: Tesla
Tesla Motors was founded in 2003 by a group of engineers in Silicon Valley who wanted to prove that electric cars could be better than petrol-powered cars. Tesla began its mission by designing a powertrain for a sports car built around an electric AC (Alternating Current) induction motor, patented in 1888 by Nikola Tesla, the inventor who inspired the company’s name. The Tesla Roadster was launched in 2008 and set a new benchmark for sustainable transport.
Since then, the Tesla engineers have continued to design fast, efficient and practical cars that push the boundaries of what is generally considered possible.
The company is also creating a network of charging stations, the Destination Chargers, for it customers around the world. Tesla is a technology and design company with a focus on energy innovation and the mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. The company entered the home storage battery market with its Tesla Powerwall Battery in 2015, and halved the cost of battery storage within a year when launching Powerwall 2 in 2016.
Tesla’s products are produced at its own factory in Fremont, California, providing thousands of jobs to the area and with a production capability of 1,000 cars a week. The company is expanding its manufacturing footprint into other areas, including in Tilburg, the Netherlands, where it has an assembly facility, and Lathrop, California, where it has a specialized production plant.
To reduce the costs of lithium ion battery packs, Tesla and key strategic partners including Panasonic have begun construction of a gigafactory in Nevada. The massive giga factory will be a zero emissions building and facilitate the mass-production of affordable electric vehicles and battery packs for cars and home storage. By 2020 the giga factory will produce more lithium ion cells than all of the world’s combined output in 2013.
Tesla offers the Powerwall and Powerwall 2.0 battery for residential customers as well as the Powerpack for commercial and utility-scale applications.
Product Snapshot: Tesla Powerwall 2.0 – for Residential & small Commercial Projects
- Can be mounted on the wall or floor, indoors or outdoors.
- Comes with a fully integrated Tesla inverter.
- 13.5 kWh usable capacity.
- 5 kW continuous and 7 kW peak power output.
- 90% round trip efficiency.
- Operating Temperature –20°C to 50°C.
- Ten-year warranty.
- Dimensions: 1150 mm x 755 mm x 155 mm (45.3 in x 29.7 in x 6.1 in)”.
GEM Energy’s Evaluation
Powerwall 2.0 gets full points for its slick and chic look. It is efficient, comes with a great warranty and has a very small footprint, so it is a great solution where limited space is an issue. Powerwall is also rated for temperatures below 5°C and above 25°C, making it perfect for Australian conditions.
Powerwall 2.0 is the battery of choice for us!
Product Snapshot: Tesla Powerpack – for Commercial & Utility-Scale Projects
- Rated for outdoor use (IP67).
- Easy installation and integration.
- Modular design to suit any application.
- Capacity of 210 kWh (AC) per Powerpack.
- Infinite scalability.
- Fully integrated, AC connected solution.
- Efficient, high performance.
- Long service life.
- 100% DoD (Depth of Discharge).
- Operating temperature -20°C to 50°C.
- Internal liquid Temperature Control System for maximum performance in all climates (modified from Model S cooling system).
- Increased safety through hundreds of sensors monitoring battery cells (modified from Model S battery monitoring system).
- Unique build architecture with 16 individual battery pods, each with an isolated DC-DC converter, ensuring maximum performance and enabling you to swap battery pods.
- Ability to charge or discharge instantly.
Australia’s first installed POWERPACK
Installed by GEM Energy in January 2017 at a Rockhampton school.
100 kW of Solar PV with 210 kWh of battery storage.
GEM Energy is proud to offer the installation of Tesla Destination Chargers.
What our customers say about us
Solar installers are a dime a dozen these days, but proper energy engineering contractors like yourselves are few and far between.Toby Murdoch
I would recommend GEM Energy to anyone looking for a Solar PV provider.Cameron Dean
The work was completed in conjunction with our business needs and everyone from GEM Energy involved with the installation was professional, competent and courteous to the YMCA staff and our patrons.Phil Sellwood