Bargara Cane Farm - Case StudySolar Irrigation replaces expensive grid power
Bargara Cane Farm
Solar PV replaces expensive grid power
80ha family-owned and operated cane farm at Bargara, east of Bundaberg
The farm required a total off-grid solution that reduced the running costs of the travelling winch irrigator system.
The family had been approached by 34 other solar companies, however only GEM Energy was able to provide a solution that met all criteria at a reasonable price.
- GEM Energy custom-designed a high-pressure irrigation system. To ensure that the irrigation system works properly, with minimal weight losses, evaporation and pooling, a balance between water pressure and flow rate must be met by the pumps.
- 55 kWp ground mounted solar array, comprised of 208 x Q CELLS Q.PRO G4.1 265Wp panels.
- Replacement of the single high-pressure 37 kW winch pump with two smaller pumps (15 kW and 17 kW) responsible for independently controlling water pressure and flow rate.
- Installation of a specially designed variable speed drive which coordinates the pumps, ensuring that they only function under the correct conditions.
- The full system is designed to allow up to six hours of full operation per day; more if a lower water pressure is used.